Unit 4 : Growing Up | Past Habits used to and didn't use to - English Grade 12

Unit 4 : Growing Up

In this unit, you will learn some useful words that are used to describe your habits or routines. You will also explore and practice grammar structures of used to, would, could and didn't use to that are used to talk about past habits that we no longer do in the present. There are 3 essential parts which are : Vocabulary, Grammar and Practices. The vocabulary has two parts which are the English Khmer and English English explanation. 

Section 1 : Vocabulary ( Khmer)

Rope skipping (n) : លោតអន្ទាក់

Jigsaw (n) : ផ្គុំរូប

Marble (n) : ឃ្លី

Hide-and-seek (n) : លេងបិទមុខបិទពួន

Catch-and-run (n) : លេងដេញចាប់

Generation (n) : ជំនាន់

Technology (n) : បញ្ចេកវិទ្យា

Memory (n) : ការចងចាំ

Childhood (n) : កុមារភាព

Communicate (v) : ទំនាក់ទំនង

Chore ( n) : ការងារផ្ទះ

Catch up (phr-v) : ជួបនិយាយគ្នាលេង

Family gathering (n) : ជួបជុំគ្រួសារ

Relative (n) : សាច់ញាតិ

Section 1 : Vocabulary (English with examples)

Rope skipping (n): a game or exercise where you jump over a rope as it moves under your feet.

Example: Many Cambodian children enjoy rope skipping at school during break time.

Jigsaw (n): a puzzle made of many small pieces that you put together to make a picture.

Example: My sister likes doing a jigsaw with pictures of Angkor Wat.

Marble (n): a small, round glass ball that children use to play games.

Example: The boys in my village often play with marbles after school.

Hide-and-seek (n) : a children's game in which one person looks for the others who are hiding.

Example: Cambodian children often play hide-and-seek around their houses.

Catch-and-run (n) : a children's game in which players try to catch another player and run away.

Example: We played catch-and-run with our friends in the school playground.

Generation (n) : a group of people who are about the same age or are born around the same time.

Example: My grandparents' generation played traditional games instead of using smartphones.

Technology (n) : modern machines and tools, such as smartphones, computers, and the internet.

Example: Cambodian students use technology to study English online.

Memory (n) : the ability to remember people, things, or experiences.

Example: I have a happy memory of visiting Angkor Wat with my family.

Childhood (n) : the period of your life when you are a child.

Example: During my childhood, I often played games with my friends in the village.

Communicate (v) : to share information, ideas, or feelings with someone.

Example: Cambodian students can communicate with foreign teachers in English.

Chore (n) : a small job you regularly do at home, such as cleaning or washing dishes.

Example: Washing the dishes is one of my chores at home.

Catch up (phr-v) : to spend time with someone and talk about what has happened recently.

Example: During Khmer New Year, I catch up with my relatives in my hometown.

Family gathering (n) : a time when family members come together, usually for a special event or celebration.

Example: We have a family gathering during Khmer New Year.

Relative (n) : a person who is a member of your family, such as an uncle, aunt, cousin, or grandparent.

Example: Many of my relatives come to our house during Pchum Ben.

Section 2 : Grammar 

Used to / would

When we walk to talk about what we habitually did in the past and stop doing in the present, used to and would can be used but would cannot be used with a stative verb or non-action verb. Now let's explore the form and example of used to and would. 

Structure : Sub + used to / would + base verb.

Examples

When I was young, I used to do rope skipping with my neighbors.  Or When I was young, I would do rope skipping with my neighbors. 

Explanation : Doing rope skipping is the activity I did in the past and now I no longer do it anymore. 

  • She used to be my friend.
  • They used to study with me in elementary school.
  • He used to play hide-and-seek when he was young.
  • Cambodia used to be the great kingdom of the world.
  • People used to travel using animals in the past.
  • Our ancestors used to live in caves and hunt animals for food.

Didn't use to 

Didn't use to is the negative forms of "used to" which is used to talk about the activity we didn't do in the past but do in the present. Remember not to use "-d" so the form looks like this " didn't use to". 

Structure : Sub + didn't use to + base verb.

Example : I don't use to eat fast food. ( But now I eat fast food.) 

Examples

  • People didn't use to travel by planes in the past.
  • I didn't use use computer.
  • She didn't use to drive a car.
  • They didn't use to go to the movie.
  • We didn't use to have AI tools. 

Question forms

Yes/No : Did + sub + use to + base verb?
Wh-Question : Wh-word + did + sub + use to + base verb? 

Examples

- Did you use to play hide-and-seek when you were young?

- Did people use to use computers in the past?

- Did she use to talk to you in the past?

- What did people in the past use to send message? 

- Who did you used to play with when you were 5 years old? 

Section : 3 Common Mistakes

Mistake 1
(Incorrect) : I didn't used to play football.
( Correct) :  I didn't use to play football.


Mistake 2
( Incorrect) : Did you used to live here?
( Correct) : Did you use to live here?


Mistake 3
( Incorrect) : I would be shy when I was young.
(Correct) :  I used to be shy when I was young.


Mistake 4
(Incorrect) : I used to playing football.
(Correct) :  I used to play football.
After used to, use the base form of the verb.

Section 4 : Practice

Practice A: Choose “Used to” or “Would”
Complete the sentences with used to or would.

  1. When I was young, I ______ play football after school.
  2. My family ______ live in a small village.
  3. Every evening, my grandmother ______ tell us stories.
  4. I ______ be very shy when I was a child.
  5. On weekends, we ______ visit our grandparents.
  6. My father ______ ride a bicycle to work.
  7. We ______ have a small wooden house.
  8. Every morning, my mother ______ walk to the market.

Answers
used to / would
used to
would
used to
used to / would
used to / would
used to
used to / would


Practice B: Use “Didn't Use to”

Complete the sentences.

  1. I ______ ______ ______ drink coffee when I was young.
  2. We ______ ______ ______ have a smartphone.
  3. My father ______ ______ ______ drive a car.
  4. She ______ ______ ______ watch television.
  5. They ______ ______ ______ live in Phnom Penh.
  6. I ______ ______ ______ like vegetables.

Answers
didn't use to
didn't use to
didn't use to
didn't use to
didn't use to
didn't use to


Practice C: Correct the Mistakes
Correct each sentence.

  1. I didn't used to play football.
  2. Did you used to live in Cambodia?
  3. She use to walk to school.
  4. We used to playing marbles.
  5. My grandfather would be very kind.
  6. They didn't used to have a car.

Answers
I didn't use to play football.
Did you use to live in Cambodia?
She used to walk to school.
We used to play marbles.
My grandfather used to be very kind.
They didn't use to have a car.

Practice D: Rewrite the Sentences

Rewrite using used to.
When I was young, I played football every day.
→ I ______________________________.
In the past, my family lived in the countryside.
→ My family ______________________________.
When she was a child, she had long hair.
→ She ______________________________.
In the past, we didn't have smartphones.
→ We ______________________________.
When he was young, he rode a bicycle to school.
→ He ______________________________.

Possible Answers
I used to play football every day.
My family used to live in the countryside.
She used to have long hair.
We didn't use to have smartphones.
He used to ride a bicycle to school.

Quick Summary

Remember:
USED TO + VERB
→ past habits and past states
- I used to play football.
- I used to be shy.


DIDN'T USE TO + VERB
→ negative past habits/states
- I didn't use to play football.
- We didn't use to have smartphones.


WOULD + VERB
→ repeated past actions
- We would play football every afternoon.
- My grandmother would tell us stories.


Easy memory trick:
Used to = past habit or past state
Didn't use to = negative past habit/state
Would = repeated past action

Posts You May Like

Unit 1 : Appearance, Personality and Phrasal Verbs

Unit 2 : A Day in Life

Unit 3 : What are your neighbors like? 

Unit 4 : Growing Up

Unit 5 : Special Days

🌈 Unit 4: Growing Up
📝 Comprehension Quiz
📚 Answer Review

Post a Comment

0 Comments