12 Useful English Idioms and Expressions with Easy Meanings

 

10 English idioms used everyday

12 Useful English Idioms and Words for Everyday Conversation

Learning common English idioms is a great way to understand natural English and speak more confidently. Many expressions used by native English speakers have meanings that are different from the individual words.

In this lesson, you will learn 12 useful English idioms and expressions, including “put your head in the sand,” “smart as a whip,” “under the weather,” “slip up,” “face the music,” and “strike it rich.”

Each expression includes an easy English meaning and a simple example sentence, making this lesson useful for English learners and Cambodian students.


1. Put Your Head in the Sand

Meaning: To ignore a problem instead of dealing with it.

Easy meaning: Ignore a problem.

Example:

You can't put your head in the sand and hope the problem will disappear.

Another example:

He knows he has a problem, but he keeps putting his head in the sand.


2. Smart as a Whip

Meaning: Very intelligent and quick to understand things.

Easy meaning: Very smart.

Example:

My little sister is smart as a whip.

Another example:

She is smart as a whip and learns new things very quickly.


3. Feel Under the Weather

Meaning: To feel sick or unwell.

Easy meaning: Feel a little sick.

Example:

I'm feeling under the weather today, so I'm going to stay home.

Another example:

She felt under the weather after working all day.

Important note

We normally use under the weather when someone does not feel well.

I feel under the weather today.
He is under the weather.


4. What Got Into You?

Meaning: An expression used to ask why someone is behaving strangely or differently.

Easy meaning: Why are you behaving like this?

Example:

What got into you? You're usually very quiet.

Another example:

What got into Tom today? He's acting very strangely.

This expression can be used when someone's behavior is surprising or unusual.


5. Slip Up

Meaning: To make a small mistake.

Easy meaning: Make a mistake.

Example:

I slipped up and forgot to send the email.

Another example:

Everyone slips up sometimes.

Grammar

Slip up is a phrasal verb.

  • Present: slip up
  • Past: slipped up
  • -ing form: slipping up

I sometimes slip up when I'm tired.
She slipped up during the test.


6. Put Your Foot in Your Mouth

Meaning: To say something embarrassing, inappropriate, or something that you should not have said.

Easy meaning: Say something embarrassing.

Example:

I really put my foot in my mouth when I asked her about her age.

Another example:

He put his foot in his mouth by talking about her secret.

This idiom is often used when someone says something without thinking and then feels embarrassed.


7. No Sense Dwelling on It

Meaning: There is no reason to keep thinking or worrying about something that has already happened.

Easy meaning: Don't keep worrying about it.

Example:

You made a mistake, but there's no sense dwelling on it.

Another example:

The test is over. There's no sense dwelling on it now.

Useful word: Dwell

Dwell on something means to keep thinking or talking about something, especially something negative.

Don't dwell on your mistakes. Learn from them and move forward.


8. That's Not an Option

Meaning: Something is not possible or cannot be chosen.

Easy meaning: We cannot choose or do that.

Example:

Staying home today is not an option. We have an important meeting.

Another example:

Giving up is not an option.

This expression is very common in everyday English.

A: Can we cancel the project?
B: No, that's not an option.


9. Face the Music

Meaning: To accept the unpleasant results or consequences of something you have done.

Easy meaning: Accept the consequences.

Example:

He broke the window, so now he has to face the music.

Another example:

I made a mistake, and now I have to face the music.

The expression does not literally mean looking at or listening to music. It means accepting the consequences of your actions.


10. Ruffle My Feathers

Meaning: To annoy, upset, or irritate someone.

Easy meaning: Make me angry or upset.

Example:

Don't let his rude comments ruffle your feathers.

Another example:

Her criticism really ruffled my feathers.

Common form

You may hear:

  • ruffle my feathers
  • ruffle his feathers
  • ruffle her feathers
  • ruffle their feathers

His comments ruffled my feathers.


11. Jumpy

Meaning: Nervous, easily frightened, or easily surprised.

Easy meaning: Nervous and easily scared.

Example:

I feel jumpy when I hear strange noises at night.

Another example:

She was jumpy after watching a scary movie.

Jumpy is an adjective.

He looks jumpy.
Don't be so jumpy.


12. Strike It Rich

Meaning: To suddenly become very rich, usually by getting a lot of money unexpectedly.

Easy meaning: Become rich suddenly.

Example:

He bought a lottery ticket and hoped to strike it rich.

Another example:

Many people dream of striking it rich.

The expression is often used when someone becomes wealthy through luck, business, investments, a lottery, or another unexpected opportunity.


Quick Review

Here are the 12 expressions again:

  1. Put your head in the sand — ignore a problem
  2. Smart as a whip — very smart
  3. Under the weather — feel sick
  4. What got into you? — why are you behaving like this?
  5. Slip up — make a mistake
  6. Put your foot in your mouth — say something embarrassing
  7. No sense dwelling on it — don't keep worrying about it
  8. That's not an option — something is not possible
  9. Face the music — accept the consequences
  10. Ruffle my feathers — annoy or upset me
  11. Jumpy — nervous or easily frightened
  12. Strike it rich — become rich suddenly

Why Learn English Idioms?

Idioms are important because they appear frequently in everyday conversations, movies, TV shows, books, social media, and informal English.

For example, if someone says:

“I'm feeling under the weather.”

They usually don't mean that they are physically under the weather. They mean that they don't feel well.

Understanding expressions like these can help English learners understand conversations more naturally.

For Cambodian students learning English, learning a few useful expressions at a time can be more effective than trying to memorize a long list of difficult idioms.


Practice: Choose the Correct Meaning

1. “I'm feeling under the weather.”

A. I'm outside.
B. I'm feeling sick.
C. I'm feeling excited.

Answer: B

2. “Don't put your head in the sand.”

A. Don't ignore the problem.
B. Don't go outside.
C. Don't sleep.

Answer: A

3. “I slipped up.”

A. I ran quickly.
B. I made a mistake.
C. I became rich.

Answer: B

4. “You have to face the music.”

A. You need to listen to music.
B. You need to accept the consequences.
C. You need to sing a song.

Answer: B

5. “She is smart as a whip.”

A. She is very intelligent.
B. She is angry.
C. She is nervous.

Answer: A



Post a Comment

0 Comments