So...that and Such...that: Easy Grammar Rules, Examples and Exercises

 


So...that and Such...that: Easy Grammar Lesson with Examples

Learning how to use so...that and such...that is an important part of English grammar. We use these structures to show a result. They help us explain that something is very strong, big, difficult, interesting, or surprising, and this causes a particular result.

For example:

  • The movie was so interesting that I watched it twice.
  • It was such an interesting movie that I watched it twice.

Both sentences have almost the same meaning: the movie was very interesting, and the result was that I watched it twice.

In this lesson, you will learn the difference between so...that and such...that, how to form them, and how to use them correctly.

What Do So...that and Such...that Mean?

So...that and such...that are used to connect a strong description with its result.

Basic meaning

so/such + strong description + that + result

The word that introduces the result.

Example:

The bag was so heavy that I couldn't carry it.

Cause: The bag was very heavy.
Result: I couldn't carry it.

Another example:

It was such a beautiful day that we went to the beach.

Cause: It was a very beautiful day.
Result: We went to the beach.


1. How to Use So...that

We normally use so + adjective/adverb + that.

Formula

Subject + verb + so + adjective + that + result

Examples

  • The test was so difficult that many students failed.
  • The soup is so hot that I can't eat it.
  • She was so tired that she went to bed early.
  • The boy ran so quickly that nobody could catch him.
  • The movie was so boring that I fell asleep.

Notice that so comes directly before an adjective or adverb.

Adjective examples

  • so big
  • so small
  • so beautiful
  • so expensive
  • so difficult
  • so easy
  • so interesting

Adverb examples

  • so quickly
  • so slowly
  • so carefully
  • so loudly
  • so quietly

2. How to Use Such...that

We normally use such + noun phrase + that.

The most common pattern is:

such + a/an + adjective + singular countable noun + that

Formula

Subject + verb + such + a/an + adjective + singular noun + that + result

Examples

  • It was such a beautiful day that we went outside.
  • She is such a kind person that everyone likes her.
  • It was such an interesting book that I read it in one day.
  • He told such a funny story that everyone laughed.
  • They live in such a big house that they have many rooms.

The important point is that such is usually followed by a noun or noun phrase.


3. So + Adjective

Use so before an adjective.

Structure:

so + adjective + that

Examples:

  • The water was so cold that I couldn't swim.
  • The room was so dark that I couldn't see anything.
  • The lesson was so easy that everyone finished quickly.
  • The car was so expensive that I couldn't buy it.
  • The child was so sleepy that he fell asleep.

Remember:

❌ so a beautiful day
✅ so beautiful

We do not normally put a/an directly after so in this structure.


4. Such + Noun

Use such before a noun or noun phrase.

Structure:

such + a/an + adjective + singular countable noun + that

Examples:

  • It was such a cold day that we stayed home.
  • She is such a good teacher that students love her classes.
  • He is such a friendly person that everyone talks to him.
  • It was such an expensive car that I couldn't afford it.

Compare:

so + adjective

It was so cold that we stayed home.

such + noun phrase

It was such a cold day that we stayed home.

Both sentences describe a strong situation and its result.


5. So + Much / Many / Little / Few + Noun

There are some special structures with so.

We use:

so much + uncountable noun

so many + plural countable noun

so little + uncountable noun

so few + plural countable noun

So much

She had so much homework that she couldn't finish it.

So many

There were so many people that we couldn't find a seat.

So little

He had so little money that he couldn't buy lunch.

So few

There were so few students that the teacher cancelled the class.


6. Such + Plural Nouns

We can also use such before plural countable nouns.

Structure:

such + adjective + plural noun + that

Examples:

  • They are such friendly students that everyone likes them.
  • We had such delicious meals that we wanted to come back.
  • She bought such beautiful flowers that everyone noticed them.
  • They asked such difficult questions that I didn't know how to answer.

Notice that we do not use a/an with plural nouns.

❌ such a beautiful flowers
✅ such beautiful flowers


7. Such + Uncountable Nouns

We can also use such before an uncountable noun.

Structure:

such + adjective + uncountable noun + that

Examples:

  • It was such bad weather that we stayed home.
  • He showed such great patience that everyone respected him.
  • We had such good food that we ordered more.
  • She gave me such useful advice that I solved the problem.

Do not use a/an before an uncountable noun.

❌ such a good advice
✅ such good advice


8. So...that vs. Such...that

The main difference is simple:

SO + adjective/adverb

The movie was so interesting that I watched it twice.

SUCH + noun phrase

It was such an interesting movie that I watched it twice.

Look at another example:

So:

The house was so beautiful that everyone took pictures.

Such:

It was such a beautiful house that everyone took pictures.

The meaning is almost the same, but the grammar structure is different.


9. Easy Comparison

Remember this simple rule:

SO → adjective/adverb

SUCH → noun/noun phrase

Examples

So + adjective

The bag was so heavy that I couldn't lift it.

Such + noun phrase

It was such a heavy bag that I couldn't lift it.


So + adjective

She is so kind that everyone likes her.

Such + noun phrase

She is such a kind person that everyone likes her.


So + adjective

The book was so interesting that I finished it quickly.

Such + noun phrase

It was such an interesting book that I finished it quickly.


10. Common Mistakes

Mistake 1: Using so before a noun

❌ It was so a beautiful day that we went outside.

✅ It was such a beautiful day that we went outside.

Why?

Because beautiful day is a noun phrase.


Mistake 2: Using such before an adjective alone

❌ The movie was such interesting that I watched it twice.

✅ The movie was so interesting that I watched it twice.

Why?

Because interesting is an adjective without a noun.


Mistake 3: Forgetting a/an

❌ It was such beautiful movie that I watched it twice.

✅ It was such a beautiful movie that I watched it twice.

Use a/an with a singular countable noun.


Mistake 4: Using a/an with plural nouns

❌ They are such friendly students.

This sentence is correct because students is plural.

But:

❌ They are such a friendly students.

This is incorrect.


11. Changing So...that to Such...that

Sometimes we can change a sentence from so...that to such...that without changing the meaning.

Example 1

So:

It was so beautiful that we took many pictures.

Such:

It was such a beautiful place that we took many pictures.

Example 2

So:

He is so good at English that he can speak confidently.

Such:

He is such a good English speaker that he can speak confidently.

Example 3

So:

The food was so delicious that we ordered more.

Such:

It was such delicious food that we ordered more.


12. Quick Grammar Guide

Use SO when the next word is an adjective or adverb:

so + adjective/adverb + that

The girl is so beautiful that everyone notices her.

He ran so quickly that I couldn't catch him.

Use SUCH when the next part contains a noun:

such + a/an + adjective + singular noun + that

She is such a beautiful girl that everyone notices her.

such + adjective + plural noun + that

They are such beautiful flowers that everyone wants to buy them.

such + adjective + uncountable noun + that

It was such beautiful weather that we went outside.


Practice: Choose So or Such

Complete each sentence with so or such.

  1. The bag was ______ heavy that I couldn't carry it.
  2. It was ______ a beautiful day that we went to the park.
  3. She is ______ kind that everyone likes her.
  4. They are ______ friendly people that everyone feels welcome.
  5. The movie was ______ boring that I fell asleep.
  6. He told ______ a funny story that we all laughed.
  7. There were ______ many people that we couldn't get inside.
  8. It was ______ bad weather that we stayed home.
  9. The children were ______ noisy that the teacher stopped the lesson.
  10. She is ______ a good student that she always gets high marks.

Answers

  1. so
  2. such
  3. so
  4. such
  5. so
  6. such
  7. so
  8. such
  9. so
  10. such

Easy Way to Remember

Think of it like this:

SO → describing word

so + adjective/adverb

SUCH → thing/person

such + noun

One final example:

The teacher was so kind that all the students liked her.

She was such a kind teacher that all the students liked her.

Both sentences show a strong description + result.

The key is to look at the word after so or such:

SO + adjective/adverb + THAT

SUCH + noun phrase + THAT

Once you remember this difference, using so...that and such...that becomes much easier.

So...that & Such...that Quiz

Post a Comment

0 Comments