Comment Clauses with Which: Easy Grammar Lesson and Exercises

Comment clause with which

1. What is a comment clause with which?

A comment clause with which is used to add a comment or opinion about the whole idea in the previous sentence.

Basic pattern:

Independent clause + , which + comment.

Example:

I dropped my friend's phone into the toilet, which was incredibly embarrassing.

The phrase “which was incredibly embarrassing” comments on the whole situation of dropping the phone into the toilet.

Another example:

Ian lied about why we arrived late, which made him feel guilty.

The which-clause gives extra information about the whole previous situation.


2. Notice the comma

We normally put a comma before which.

✅ She broke her brother's computer, which was very expensive.

❌ She broke her brother's computer which was very expensive.

The comma is important because this is a comment clause, not a clause that identifies a particular noun.


3. Which refers to the whole idea

Compare these two sentences:

A. Which refers to a noun

I bought a phone which was very expensive.

Here, which refers to the phone.

B. Which comments on the whole sentence

I lost my phone, which was very annoying.

Here, which refers to the whole situation of losing my phone.


4. We don't add another subject after which

After which, don't repeat the subject.

✅ She borrowed my tablet, which really bothers me.

❌ She borrowed my tablet, which it really bothers me.

Why?

Because which is already the subject of the comment clause.

Another example:

✅ He broke the camera, which made his sister angry.

❌ He broke the camera, which it made his sister angry.


5. Comment clauses can express opinions

We can use expressions such as:

  • which is great
  • which is surprising
  • which is really annoying
  • which was a mistake
  • which was very dangerous
  • which I think is a good idea
  • which I think is unnecessary
  • which made me feel bad

Examples

Tom forgot my birthday, which was disappointing.

She helped the old man, which was very kind of her.

He drove very fast, which was dangerous.

They canceled the meeting, which I think was a good idea.


6. Important rule

A comment clause with which normally comes after a complete sentence.

Correct:

He broke his sister's camera, which made her very angry.

The first part is a complete sentence:

He broke his sister's camera.

Then we add the comment:

which made her very angry.


7. Easy formula

Remember:

Complete idea + , which + comment

For example:

I failed the test, which was embarrassing.

She helped me, which was very kind of her.

He arrived late, which annoyed the teacher.

They didn't invite me, which was disappointing.


Grammar Practice — Answers

1. Maggie insists on paying for the tickets I gave her.

(It's just not necessary.)

✅ Maggie insists on paying for the tickets I gave her, which is just not necessary.


2. Repairing Don's tablet will cost an arm and a leg.

(It's totally ridiculous.)

✅ Repairing Don's tablet will cost an arm and a leg, which is totally ridiculous.


3. I offered to pay the bill.

(It was the right thing to do, in my opinion.)

✅ I offered to pay the bill, which was the right thing to do, in my opinion.


4. Jonah tried to pass a car in a no-passing zone.

(It was really dangerous.)

✅ Jonah tried to pass a car in a no-passing zone, which was really dangerous.


5. Colleen is going to replace your headphones.

(I think it's very thoughtful of her.)

✅ Colleen is going to replace your headphones, which I think is very thoughtful of her.


Quick Practice

Complete each sentence with which and the words in brackets.

  1. I forgot my friend's birthday, __________.
    (which / was embarrassing)
  2. She helped me with my homework, __________.
    (which / was very kind of her)
  3. He drove without a seat belt, __________.
    (which / was dangerous)
  4. They canceled the meeting, __________.
    (which / I think / was a good idea)

Answers

  1. I forgot my friend's birthday, which was embarrassing.
  2. She helped me with my homework, which was very kind of her.
  3. He drove without a seat belt, which was dangerous.
  4. They canceled the meeting, which I think was a good idea.

One thing to remember

“Which” can comment on the whole sentence before it.

He arrived two hours late, which was very annoying.

Think of which as saying: “And that was…” or “This was…”

He arrived two hours late, and that was very annoying.
→ He arrived two hour late, which was very annoying.

 

Comment Clauses with Which

15 Multiple-Choice Questions

Post a Comment

0 Comments