Usages
Present Perfect Continuous Tense is used to talk about:
1.An action that happened and is still happening now and up into the future
2.An action that recently finished with the result in the present
2. Temporary action
Forms
Positive : Sub + have/has + been + Ving........
Negative : Sub + haven't/hasn't + been + Ving....
Yes/NO : Have/has + sub + been + Ving...........?
Wh-Question : Wh-word + have/has + sub + been + Ving.....?
Usage 1 : Past action that is still happening now
- I have been waiting for 3 hours. ( I started waiting in the past and now I am still waiting)
- She has been living in Cambodia for 2 years.
- They have been playing soccer for an hour.
- Have you been waiting for her for 3 hours?
- Has she been living in Cambodian since 2024?
Usage 2 : Very recent action that shows the result in the present.
- The kids are still wet because they have been swimming.
- The floor is still wet because the janitor has been cleaning it.
- They are very tired and sweating because they have been playing soccer.
- The ground is very wet because it has been raining.
Usage 3: Temporary Actions
- I have been doing exercise recently.
- She usually drives to work but she has been riding her motorbike this week.
- They have been practicing soccer a lot this month.
- He has been feeling stressed recently.
Present Perfect Tense
Completed action showing the result int he present.
- She has done her homework.
- They have submitted their assignment already.
- I have had a cup of coffee.
Past action continues to the present
- I have worked here for 2 years.
- She has been my friends since elementary school.
- ROZA has been sick since Monday last week.
Life experience
- I have flown in an airplane once.
- She has tried Khmer food a few times.
- They have visited Ankor Wat once.
Easy Comparison
- I have painted a picture. ( I finished it)
- I have been painting a picture. ( I am still doing it.)
Instructions: Complete each sentence with the correct form of the verb in brackets using either the Present Perfect Simple or Present Perfect Continuous.
- She __________ three books this month. (read)
- They __________ soccer for two hours. (play)
- I __________ my homework already. (finish)
- We __________ for the bus since 8 o'clock. (wait)
- He looks tired because he __________ all morning. (work)
- My parents __________ to Thailand several times. (travel)
- It __________ all day. (rain)
- I __________ this movie before. (see)
- The children __________ in the garden since lunch. (play)
- She __________ the report, so she can relax now. (complete)
- We __________ English for five years. (study)
- Tom __________ his keys and can't find them. (lose)
- They __________ the house since early morning. (clean)
- I __________ never __________ sushi before. (eat)
- The dog is wet because it __________ in the river. (swim)
- She __________ ten emails today. (write)
- How long __________ you __________ for this company? (work)
- The students __________ the same project for weeks. (do)
- He __________ all the milk. (drink)
- Why are your hands dirty? __________ you __________ in the garden? (work)
Present Perfect Simple vs Present Perfect Continuous Present Perfect Simple vs Present Perfect Continuous


0 Comments